malang paintingThis advertisement is already inactive
Malang Mauro Malang Santos
9" x 12"
Year Done: 2002
Malang started learning how to draw from Teodoro Buenaventura, a private tutor, when he was ten years old. He studied at the Antonio Regidor Elementary School in 1934. He attended Arellano High School in 1941. For one semester, Malang studied at the College of Fine Arts of the University of the Philippines in 1946. He stopped attending formal school at the age of 19 in order to work for the art department of the Manila Chronicle newspaper. At the Manila Chronicle, he apprenticed under Liborio "Gat" Gatbonton, a Filipino cartoonist. During 1972, Malang attended art classes at the Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles, California under a three-month scholarship
At the Manila Chronicle, Malang created Kosme, the Cop, Retired, the first daily comic strip in the English language for the evening edition of the newspaper. In 1955, Malang established the Bughouse, a gallery specializing in cartoons. Malang established the gallery together with cartoonist colleagues such as Liborio Gatbonton, Larry Alcala, Hugo Yonzon, and Elmer Agustan. In 1966, Malang launched the Art for the Masses, a project that brought printmaking of artworks to a larger number of artwork enthusiasts at affordable prices.
In 1957, Philippine Art Gallery founder, Lyd Arguilla, included Malang in the Twelve Artists in the Philippines-Who's Who. In 1958, the Art Directors Guild of the Philippines conferred Malang the Award for Editorial Design. Malang won in competitions sponsored by the Society of Philippine Illustrators and Cartoonists. In 1964, the Society of Philippine Illustrators and Cartoonists named Malang as the Artist of the Year. Malang won awards in the annual art competitions held by the Art Association of the Philippines, namely for his Street Fight (second prize, 1951), Traffic (third prize, 1953), The Yellow Sky (honorable mention, 1959), Quarter Moon (second prize), and Gate to Intramuros (honorable mention, 1963). In 1963, Malang was included as the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines. In 1981, the City of Manila awarded him the Patnubay ng Sining at Kalinangan (literally "Arts and Culture Guide") award.
Other Ads by tanventure
- 7"x8" On Canvas Juvenal Sanso was born in Reus, Catalonia, Spain in 1929, but moved to Manila five years later, where his family established El Arte Espanol, a wrought-iron...Sanso, Juvenal Painting on Canvas Collectable
- Norma Belleza Mother and Child 27 x 25.5 inches Oil on Canvas work done on 1978 Early Premium Work done by the Artist on the year 1978 Norma Belleza was born in San Fernando,...Norma Belleza Art Painting
- Fernando Sena is a famous senior filipino painter and art teacher... His paintings are collected by well known art collectors. He is well-known by his Pandesal Paintings.Fenando Sena Painting Canvas Arts Collectable
- Painting: Medium: Pastel Size 8x11 inches Artist Roel Obemio Roel Obemio (artist) was Born on June 14,1967, in Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines. He studied in University of the East,...painting art Obemio Roel
- Size: 11 x17 inches Medium: Acrylic on Paper Juvenal Sans Spanish by birth, Filipino at heart (See Chronology and One-Man Shows ) Juvenal Sanso was born in Reus,...Sanso Painting Art
- Acrylic on Paper 12.5 x17.5 inches Gold Series done Circa 1980's-90's Juvenal Sanso was born in Reus, Catalonia, Spain in 1929, but moved to Manila five years...painting Sanso art painting collectible